Mar 15, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie ~ A Recipe from a Photographer

Yesterday was March 14th or 3.14...Pi Day!!  But around our hosue it was Pi(e) day!!  I'm gonna be honest, I don't think I have EVER made a pie.  Maybe a pumpkin pie around the holidays, but certainly nothing like this.  Around my house, we make food for any occasions!!  So I threw caution to the wind, found a seemingly easy recipe, and just went for it.  

I decided to make Strawberry Rhubarb Pie b/c I remember having it in Minnesota and it was just sooooo yummy!!!  Also, I saw some fresh rhubarb in Publix last week so it was on my mind.  Alas, when it was time to buy the rhubarb it was GONE, so I had to go with frozen...which was fine.  

ok, here we go...

What you need...

 1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 pound fresh rhubarb, frozen may be used (really the recipe said that, lol)
2 pints of fresh strawberries
1 recipe pastry for 9 inch double crust pie
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons of white sugar

Preheat your oven at 400 degrees.
First, Mix white sugar and flour together

 

Add Rhubarb
 

Chop fresh strawberries
 

Add the strawberries and mix together.  Then let mixture set for about 30 minutes.
 

I used store bought pie crust.  Not the kind in the pan,  just the crust that you roll out yourself.

So, roll the crust into a pie pan then fill with fruit mixture

dollop 2 tablespoons of butter on top of mixture
 

Take the second roll of pie crust and cut into strips.  I used a pizza cutter.  This is probably standard, but I thought I was a GENIUS!! :)
 

 Crack and egg and use just the yolk...set aside
 

 Once you place the top crust on the pie, brush it with the egg yolk.  I'm honestly not sure how to weave the pie crust so I just went for the Pi sign considering it was Pi Day.  Cute, right?  haha!
 

Then, sprinkle it with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar .  Warning, if you let your little ones help on this part then you will just get huge dumps of sugar in one place, but when is too much sugar a bad thing, right?
 

Now cook for 30-40 min. in your preheated oven @ 400 degrees.

And Voila!!! I gotta say, I was OVERLY proud of myself.  So much so, that dinner was just grilled cheese.  I mean, all my efforts of the day went into making this pi(e).  It also REALLY helped that my husbands latest obsession is making homemade ice cream.  Homemade vanilla ice cream with Strawberry Rhubarb Pie...DELICIOUS!! :)


 ** After baking it, I might suggest cook for 20 minutes, THEN add the top crust and cook for another 20.  I cooked my for about 30 minutes.  It looked done b/c the top crust was starting to burn, but It was very liquid inside. It was still yummy, but probably could have cooked a little bit longer.  I just didn't want my top crust to BURN!! :)

Here is the original recipe I got it on allrecipes.com

So, give it a try!!  It really wasn't all that hard and you'll be super proud of yourself! :)

TTFN,
Nicole
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips